Mark_Mcl

St. Johnstone 1 v 2 Rangers - 23/12/18

STEVEN GERRARD has named three changes to his Rangers side to take on St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park this afternoon.

From the side which played so well but couldn’t find a way to goal against Hibernian in midweek, out go Gareth McAuley, Ryan Jack and Scott Arfield, with their places taken by Joe Worrall, Ross McCrorie and Andy Halliday respectively.

That means it’s a back five of Allan McGregor in goal with James Tavernier at right-back, Worrall and Connor Goldson in the middle and Borna Barisic at left-back.

McCrorie, Lassana Coulibaly and Halliday are in the middle of the park, with Daniel Candeias and Eros Grezda providing support to Alfredo Morelos.

There is a place on the bench for Lee Wallace alongside replacement ‘keeper Wes Foderingham, Kyle Lafferty, Jon Flanagan, Jordan Rossiter, Nikola Katic and Glenn Middleton.

It’s a 12.15 kick-off here in the Fair City, with full coverage to come on RangersTV outside the UK. Join Tom Miller and Iain Ferguson for full coverage.

RANGERS: McGregor; Tavernier, Worrall, Goldson, Barisic; McCrorie, Halliday, Coulibaly; Candeias, Grezda, Morelos.

SUBS: Foderingham, Wallace, Lafferty, Flanagan, Rossiter, Katic, Middleton.

• Like 1

Can’t see where the creativity is coming from with that midfield.

hopefully jack and Arfield are just not being risked with the next two games  and not out with injuries 

5 minutes ago, Glumble said:

What's up with Arfield and Jack not even making the bench? Are they injured? 

Both injured according to the presenter on BT.

• Like 1

Hopefully McCrorie is the DM, Coulibaly going box to box and Halliday... well I’m not sure what Halliday brings other than “effort” but to be fair could offer a goal threat outside the box.

Frustrating that an under performing Worral continues to keep Katic out of the team. Katic carries a good threat at set pieces and is our player. Worral is here for game time before he goes back to Forrest. When that happens we will be left with an unhappy Katic.

Arfield’s carrying a knock but I assume Jack’s been left out with the next two games in mind. 

Hopefully the orange kit inspires a similar performance as the one against Killie in the cup. 

16 minutes ago, PaulWill said:

Worrall. Halliday. Our lack of depth is showing today. I’ll take any sort of win at all.

I'll be happy if Morelos manages to stay out of trouble today. 

Really hope we can sign a quality CB soon . Goldson and Worrall don't fill me with confidence .

We’ve dominated the game so far, and are creating a few half chances. Just lacking in the final third.

Keep this up and i’ll be surprised if we dont win.

1 minute ago, Icarus said:

Really hope we can sign a quality CB soon . Goldson and Worrall don't fill me with confidence .

There you go just as I say that pair of them let the ball bounce and get caught out .

I question what we actually work on in training. Literally every team except Celtc will sit in with 10 men behind the ball and play on the break, why can't we figure out how to break these teams down? We continue to move the ball too slow and feck about with it at the back. 

5 minutes ago, Neilo said:

I question what we actually work on in training. Literally every team except Celtc will sit in with 10 men behind the ball and play on the break, why can't we figure out how to break these teams down? We continue to move the ball too slow and feck about with it at the back. 

We need to sit in and let them play and come at us the same way they do to us. That creates space and suits us for fast attacking play.

Playing long into the defences is no good, we're not winning first or second balls and it's cleared quickly or we're forced wide. You really have to run at them or play small quick triangle passes through them. 

Tommy Wright is on the usual formula of 10 men behind when Rangers have possession and kicking fuck out of us. 

Gerrard needs to change this quickly. Completely the wrong team selection and approach. He knew St Johnstone would sit in and not allow any spaces and slow the game down to walking pace and frustrate so I have no idea why he's playing Halliday, Mcrorie and Coulibaly across the midfield who whether we like it or not are not creative  footballers and they slow everything down more in a game with their style. 

Its it's crystal clear how this game should've been approached. Remove all the shirt safe passes in our own half between mcrorie, Halliday, Goldson and Worral that's allowing St Johnstone to organise and get the passing range opened right up and get quickly into Grezda, Candeias and Barisic and get the width and crosses into the box and bombard the St Johnstone goal mouth. If the passes into wider areas are quicker and sharper we will get succcess. We won't do anything playing centrally and trying to open up through balls when St Johnstone park along their 18 yard box with no space in behind. St Johnstone have nothing creative but they've caused problems with aimless long balls. Middleton has struggled in recent weeks but from a game change point of view he needs to come on and hug that touchline and demand the ball every single time. If this approach to the game doesn't change we aren't scoring here. 

We're like a team at the bottom of the league. Ball out wide and hopeful crosses into the box. That seems to be our style of play. 

Grezda needs something to come off for him,he's lost the ball everytime he's touched it near enough . 

Hate being negative all the time but I'm yet to see anything to get my hopes up about.

We've just lost our best defender - possibly for 3/4 weeks. Really bad news. 

Seeing Wallace and Halliday on the field is taking me back to the bad old days. 

And bang goes any hope I had in the Celtc game. Barisic completely changes our left hand side and if his hamstring is done then then we are fekked. James Forrest just got the biggest xmas present he could've hoped for. 

1 minute ago, PaulWill said:

He'll miss 2 games, Hibs and Celtc then the break. Still pishy pishy pish.

Get McCrorie and Worrall off this pitch right now. Can they not read a game. The game needs tempo not 15 touches and a 5 yard safe pass at walking pace. 

Gerrard better get ripped into this lot at half time because we aren't even doing the minimum, winning the first and second balls. That should be a given. 

Just now, PaulWill said:

Wallace was a very decent level player before we ended up in SFL3.  He's one who could create chances and nip a goal. He's not as good as Barisic granted but I am not complaining that we're using a former captain of the club at LB instead of Flanagan.

Ans Halliday has hardly had a bad game this season so for me it's the unwarranted criticism takes me back to a few years ago. 

• Like 2

This is Warburton and Murty-esque. We're so fuckin bad. 

Gerrard was a world class player but is a bang average manager. 

Deserved. Their passing has been twice as fast as ours in possession. 

Second period of pressure that's began with shoddy passes from our CBs

Goldson is an absolute liability no way is he a defender, still remember him trying to clear the ball with the outside of his boot square on . 

Get Worrall to feck as well, anyone else who can't get a game for Forest isn't good enough for us, can't even make a 5 yard pass,he turned the possession over a minute before that goal with a smack pass to Mcrorie.