Sign in to follow this  
Jack Sparrow

Motherwell 3 v 3 Rangers - 25/8/18

Hope we do these hammer throwing barstewards tomorrow.  Live on BT Sport 1 - show starting 11.45 and kick off 12.15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Jo4-AP_54

STEVEN GERRARD reckons his side have what it takes to “stand up to any team” ahead of tomorrow’s trip to Motherwell.

The Light Blues go into the game with huge momentum, being undefeated in their 10 competitive games so far while conceding just the three goals so far.

On the match, Gerrard said: “We have got enough to stand up to any team who want to try anything really, and I think my players have stood up to every challenge which has been thrown at them so far, and handled it really well.

“I think Motherwell will be in our face and do what they need to do, but they are a good team as well and they have good players, a good manager and they do try and play at the right times as well.

“I went to watch them a few weeks back and I really liked some of their play around the box – they play two up top and they have a good relationship and understanding on what they can do to open defences up.

“We know what to expect from Motherwell – they are at home and we are on the back of a European game, so we know they are going to come at us from the off, but I have confidence my players can handle it – it is a tough game for us, but it is a game where we want to go and give a good account of ourselves and try and keep this run going.

“But for us, we are going for maximum points.”

Gerrard hinted there could be changes to his side for Sunday, and added: “I have been utilising the bench and been rotating quite a lot – not madly or in big numbers, but subtly making two or three changes within the team.

“It will certainly come in to my thinking with the week and the schedule we have in the next seven days in terms of team selection, but at the same time, they are all three very important games in their own right.

“We will try and keep energy in our play and try to protect players who need a breather, but at the same time, we will be picking three strong teams to try and have a good, positive week.”

I don’t see Gerrard risking Coulibaly with UFA and Celtic in mind next week.

Im hoping to see us put them to the sword though, Hamilton beat them last week and they are a pub team.

• Like 1

Motherwell hitting out with fighting talk yet have lost 2 on the bounce in the League. Reckon we will beat them by 2 or 3!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigjobe said:

As long as we manage to avoid the compulsory red card we should be ok

First off, loving the new forum. 

Secondly, agree with the post above as I’ve no doubt they’ll try and wind up Morelos for a reaction.

Just stick the ball in the net wee man, that’s the best revenge. Hope we do these bastards, and while Stevie G has said that they apology is accepted and we move on, we all know that the “there won’t be much respect shown” comment will be used against Motherwell. 

We owe them a doing.

Looking forward to the chants directed at Peter Hartley as the third goal goes in before HT.

Hopefully get another good win, up into second and unbeaten going into the OF game.

In all honesty I’ll take a 1-0 win with no red cards and no injuries. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I would think it's going to be Flanagan, Goldson and Katic with Tavarnier and Barasic as wing backs.

Can't think of any other formation that would see us having Flanagan, Tavarnier and Barasic in the team.

Unless Tav was pushed forward, but going by Gerrard's comments Lafferty is going to play as a striker.

One difference I think we’ll see from the last couple of seasons is that this team won’t be bullied by Motherwell. I just hope the classless comments from Hartley haven’t wound some players up to the point that they go over the top. We must keep ten men on the field and just play our game.

Not keen on the idea of a new, untested formation in a game like this, but I guess it can be changed instantly if it’s not working.

Halliday’s done well recently, but I’d still prefer not to see him at all. I guess this is a selection with a view to next Thursday and Sunday.

No major issues with Halliday at the moment, he's only near the team due to injuries, we have 3/4 central midfielders out injured or being rested.

27 minutes ago, Iggybumtastic said:

Looks like we are playing 3-5-2 today.

DlhKthYW4AELbFn.jpg

Could be. Looks like a very flexible team either way. Interesting tactical match coming up, this is set up for a war IMHO. 

I’m at fir park today. Couldn’t be bothered watching on telly and couldn’t go to Celtic so here I am. Say hi if you’re there!

attacking side! Looks good!

• Like 1

Couldn’t have asked for a worst start, Goldson and McGregor both falling over to let Motherwell in.

The response has been good though and plenty of time left in the game.

I was just about to say we are not coping with the wet pitch at all. 

Great goal, it was goal bound anyway by the looks of it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Sparrow said:

How many fouls does Aldred get before being booked.... Even Craigan is saying it FFS! 

This is why people have a go at referees, it’s not making mistakes, it’s the lack of consistency in decisions.

Lafferty had his shirt pulled by Aldred, it’s a yellow by the letter of the law, gives the foul, so he seen it, he has to book him.

We're doing pretty well with the ball, just unfortunate that a slip and ball watching by a usual culprit has put us in this position. 

Not panicking yet. 

2 minutes ago, RangersFirst said:

Jack, can we sticky match threads while they are live? Just so it's at the top of the page. 

Done. 

• Mint 1

Zero football from Motherwell. All blood and thunder.  They will tire and we will slaughter them second half with the spaces opening up.

Robinson as a manger will go no further than Motherwell. 

• Like 1

Zero football from Motherwell. All blood and thunder.  They will tire and we will slaughter them second half with the spaces opening up.

Robinson as a manger will go no further than Motherwell. 

These thugs need taken to task. Knee in the back and elbow in the neck by Main. Utter disgrace to the game of football. 

Yesssssssd ovie! 

What a counter attack. 

What a game. So proud of the lads for keeping in the physical battle and still playing football through it. Lesser teams in the last 5 years just shut down. 

Now put them to the sword. 

Great to go in infront, but wow this is a tough game. We have looked really nervous at times I think.

Not watching the game, only listening... How bad were the two goals? First sounded like just a mistake, but Radio Scotland slaughtered Goldson a little.

Incredible resilience shown to go in leading at the break though!

• Like 1

Hopefully a noisy dressing room at HT. Let them hear how up for this we are. Get out, get back in their faces and get the fourth to kill them off so we can relax before Thursday. 

Just now, PoohBear said:

Great to go in infront, but wow this is a tough game. We have looked really nervous at times I think.

If think the team are showing a bit of guts and they're up for the battle. 

29 minutes ago, Jack Sparrow said:

Fucking hell! What are we playing at today?? 

We are playing football as it should be played

Tav falling asleep defensively is our only problem

1 minute ago, greyhareuk said:

Not watching the game, only listening... How bad were the two goals? First sounded like just a mistake, but Radio Scotland slaughtered Goldson a little.

Incredible resilience shown to go in leading at the break though!

It wasn’t a mistake he lost his footing on the wet grass