Sign in to follow this  
RangersFirst

Ryder Cup

Looking forward to this - an intriguing one - as much as I think USA are clear favourites. I thought some of the European wildcard choices were a bit odd but to be fair there is a good bit of inexperience across the players who qualified automatically.

Spending the weekend in St Andrews (what better place?) so hoping to catch a good bit of it in between rounds.

Surprised Poulter got the nod this year. I get that he's a team player and gets his team mates and crowd going with his patriotism but his golf just hasn't been good enough. 

I think Europe will win. 

5 hours ago, BuddyTheElf said:

Surprised Poulter got the nod this year. I get that he's a team player and gets his team mates and crowd going with his patriotism but his golf just hasn't been good enough. 

I think Europe will win. 

What Poulter have you been watching?

He only just missed out on automatic qualification, in fact, he was in the 8 up until about 2 weeks before the cut off when one of the guys won a tournament to knock him down.

He’s been in great form all year, he won on the PGA Tour quite recently and had a good few top 10 finishes.

For me, if you are going to question any of the wildcards, it’s got to be Stenson and Garcia, both of which haven’t been playing great.

31 minutes ago, Iggybumtastic said:

What Poulter have you been watching?

He only just missed out on automatic qualification, in fact, he was in the 8 up until about 2 weeks before the cut off when one of the guys won a tournament to knock him down.

He’s been in great form all year, he won on the PGA Tour quite recently and had a good few top 10 finishes.

For me, if you are going to question any of the wildcards, it’s got to be Stenson and Garcia, both of which haven’t been playing great.

He's been in decent form. Ian Poulter of old walks into the automatic slots easily. He's been totally off his game this year with the odd good week here and there. 

2 hours ago, BuddyTheElf said:

He's been in decent form. Ian Poulter of old walks into the automatic slots easily. He's been totally off his game this year with the odd good week here and there. 

He’s currently ranked 34th in the world, better than some others in the team.

Considering the world rankings are made up, that’s some achievement as he was 184th 2 years ago.

He’s been very good this season and his Ryder Cup pedigree just adds to that.

• Like 1

Probably the right pick with his experience and at home he's going to get the crowds going, as he always does although it's possibly one of the most diversely European Ryder Cups ever - with it being held in France with a Swedish captain it will be interesting to see how up for it the crowds are.

You have to go back to when Seve was captain and more than half the team was European to see something similar in the makeup of the team but it wasn't the same electric atmosphere back then.

• Mint 1

8 hours ago, Jack Sparrow said:

Probably the right pick with his experience and at home he's going to get the crowds going, as he always does although it's possibly one of the most diversely European Ryder Cups ever - with it being held in France with a Swedish captain it will be interesting to see how up for it the crowds are.

You have to go back to when Seve was captain and more than half the team was European to see something similar in the makeup of the team but it wasn't the same electric atmosphere back then.

Isn't Thomas Bjorn Danish?

I never expect a USA team to do well in Europe.  Hope they prove me wrong.

5 hours ago, NyQuil said:

I never expect a USA team to do well in Europe.  Hope they prove me wrong.

I think  opposite. They usually win a couple of morning games in the 1st day by at least 4 up. 

1 minute ago, RangersFirst said:

Casey/Hatton is a bit of a surprise pairing to me, and I'm not just saying that because they're 3 down currently.

Yeah, I thought that too.

I have a feeling they may miss out this afternoon and we will see Poulter and Garcia paired together.

Rose/Rahm are playing excellently together in the first group.

Looks like we will lose the lead in 2 matches.

Woods/Reed stiff with Fleetwood in the greenside rough, god knows where Molinari is after his tee shot.

McIlroy/Oleson is major trouble at the par 5.

Hatton has finally shown up, Casey keeping that match close, then wins 2 holes and Hatton wins another to get back to A/S after being 3 down.

Just me in here but feck it.

Molinari/Fleetwood partnership starting to come together, finished strongly in the Fourballs and started great in the Foursomes.

Some very good golf played this morning highlight probably Rose chipping in from what looked to be a position that could cause a problem 

• Mint 1

Fowler has been awful this afternoon. He's playing to the standard of a low handicapper. Some of his shots are total shanks.

54 minutes ago, BuddyTheElf said:

Fowler has been awful this afternoon. He's playing to the standard of a low handicapper. Some of his shots are total shanks.

Yeah he was poor today at times.

That being said, the course is incredibly difficult, especially with that wind in the afternoon. The winner of the French Open this year (Alex Noren) only finished -7 through 72 holes, it's as hard a course as there is on the European Tour.

Another good morning for Europe with the tight fairways and the wind made it very difficult more so for th America’s