Sign in to follow this  
Iggybumtastic

New structure coming for the Eredivisie

A new Eredivisie structure is close to being approved. New proposal will make the league 16 clubs with end of season playoffs. PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax have agreed to distribute part of their earnings from Europe around all the clubs in order to get rid of artificial pitches (AD)

Most Eredivisie clubs are in agreement over getting rid of artificial pitches, which 6 clubs use, with PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord's decision to distribute European earnings welcomed. (AD)

However there is some resistance over reforming the league and making it 16 teams with playoffs. Several structures are currently being discussed. A final vote on these matters will take place in November.

Loving this, clubs putting what's best for the game ahead of self interest. Never gonna happen in Scotland.

• Like 2

We should definitely be distributing more of the European money throughout the league.  A stronger league is better for us all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

We should definitely be distributing more of the European money throughout the league.  A stronger league is better for us all.

It is , but I'm afraid when little clubs vote to try and destroy yours they aren't going to be getting hand outs when we get back in the big playground. 

11 minutes ago, Icarus said:

It is , but I'm afraid when little clubs vote to try and destroy yours they aren't going to be getting hand outs when we get back in the big playground. 

This is my main point.

Scottish football is just far too filled with hate to get this sort of thing sorted. The bitterness and resentment for me will eventually be it's downfall.

Not for me. Our fans go to games and fund our club, who then invest it to get into Europe.

Why should our supporters fund other clubs? When small teams get to finals their fans appear in thousands. It’s up to THEM to fund their team, not us.

Always hated the Dutch league and the play off system. Euro places should be decided on your performances over the full season, not a play off.

• Like 1

If we ever got to a stage where money from Rangers is going to Dundee United, I think I would lose the will to live.

• Mint 2

Spreading out funds provides a higher quality of football for all.  What's the point in being a massive club playing against shite every week?  I'd much rather see a strong, exciting league.

• Like 1
  • Mint 1

Apart from dropping 2 teams, I don't see what's different.... The Dutch league already has playoffs for UEFA places and relegation.  🤨

As for suggestions of spreading out funds - the funds go to the biggest clubs because we draw the most supporters and TV audiences.  We also need the funds to compete in European football at a higher level, increasing coefficients.  Spreading our already scant TV deal more evenly might well improve the smaller clubs (and I'd be for that to an extent) but there's no way we should be bankrolling the likes of Motherwell or St Johnstone who can bring 5 figure crowds to Hamdpen for semi finals but struggle for more than a few thousand at a regular home game.

• Like 1

They're not doing it entirely out of the kindness of their hearts to be fair. There's a stipulation that the clubs must put the money towards the upkeep of the pitch, including getting rid of artificial pitches and replacing them with grass. Given how much people complain about the artificial pitches in Scotland there could well be some merit in the idea.